This is the most visited post on this site, with several visitors arriving from Google every day. Please take a look at my Blogshop if you would rather buy one 😉
For the June swap on a forum I belong to I made a Union Jack cushion cover. I had seen these in magazines and fancied a go at making one. So, I used the last bit of the Ikea Berit fabric I used to make the girls Roman Blind and 2 skirts I absolutely love, but are completely impractical as they are see through! You will need a denim needle because you are sewing up to 9 layers of fabric.
The first layer is the background. I cut a piece out of the skirt. (Laura Ashley) and then cut the ikea fabric into stripes, hemming along the length.
Then, starting with one of the diaganal stripes, I laid it onto the bottom fabric, pinned and stitched it. Then did the same for the other one. As you can see from the first pic, if you don’t have enough length of your chosed stripe, you can hide the seam at this point!
This was followed up by the cross on the top.
At this point you could trim and hem and add to another larger piece of fabric to make a wall hanging.
I then took the other skirt, a linen M&S one and cut a piece for the back of the cushion 3/4 of the length of the cushion, with one end hemmed (the right of the fabric see pic) and pinned to the front of the right hand side of the cover. Then I took another (hemmed on one side see pic) piece of the linen skirt 1/2 the length of the cover and pinned that to the top.
Then these pieces were all sewn together.
The seams trimmed and corners cut
Finally I turned it through and stuffed!
Then I made a better one to send!